[3830] SS SSB K4HQK Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 23 11:01:50 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My operating plan was to have a good time working S&P (unassisted) and
snagging as many sections as possible, rather than chasing every CQ from Peoria
to the guy a block away. Band conditions, however, made it an uphill climb both
days. That said, here’s my “pogo stick” report of hopping from this band
to that.

At the outset when I checked (1600 EST Saturday), 15 and 10 meters were quiet
(although many other PVRCers made QSOs on 15m), so I opened on 20m in search of
western sections while the band was still open. That wasn’t very successful. I
couldn’t even get CA stations to respond, just Midwestern stations.

At 1730 I switched to 40m, where QSOs came easier than on 20m and included a
number of Canadians, too. Broke for dinner at 1815.

At 2015 I was back at the rig and found 40m had become long and populated with
Westerners, including some Californians. The band didn’t seem to have as many
signals as in other contests, where it’s usually jam-packed like a Metro bus
on the 4th of July.

After milking what I could out of 40m I switched at 2100 to 75 meters, where I
found moderate activity and normal skip for that band. Working stations was
easy. Activity was concentrated in the 3600-3880 segment. I heard no contesters
above 3880. Shut down at 2315 to watch a little of SNL.

Sunday morning I fired up at 0715 and found 75m still active with contesters,
but ragchewers now outnumbered them. There were very few contesters above 3800.
Accumulated 25 QSOs before breakfast, then afterward returned to the contest on
40 meters. Most were in eastern N.A. but to my surprise, WC6H (SJV) came through
with a strong signal and responded to my call.

At 0930 I moved to 20 meters. The band was now open to the West Coast, the 7th
call area and the Midwest. Very few stations were heard, and of those, each had
a lineup calling.  I gave up for a while, then returned to 20m at 1145 and
worked Oregon right away despite an S9 noise level. By 1300 it had become easier
to work the West Coast than the Midwest.

Mid-afternoon Sunday the 20m band seemed shorter with fewer stations and more
dupes, providing me with little but one outstanding QSO with a very strong
VA7RR. I jumped back to 40m at 1600 and worked 13 stations along the East Coast,
targeting stations in as yet unworked sections. At 4:30 I gave it a rest.

After dinner I was back at the rig at 1900 for the grand finale. I worked 12
more on 40m, picking up rare EWA and NL, plus AR for new sections. I had trouble
being heard, including WY7M (Wyoming), who lost me to QSB. While trying to work
VE5SB he disappeared into the noise. No Californians would answer me. Then I
switched to 75m, which was busy with strong signals and no QRN. I worked seven
more in the Midwest and East, and went QRT at 2107.

My section bag of 65 left me without ND, NNY, PR, OK, ORG, PAC, SB, SDG, SF, AK,
ID, UT, WY, WI, and in Canada, AB, MAR, NT, ONN, and SK. Next time I think I
need to try being “assisted” ;-)

73, John K4HQK
    Alexandria, Virginia

Station: IC-7400, ALS-600, Cushcraft R6000 vertical, and dipoles.