[3830] SS SSB N8II Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 23 12:38:17 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I got off to a terrible start on 20 after deciding 15 was not going to perform
well here. I had only 121 Q's in the log at 2318Z, running did not work well in
several spots. There were some incredibly loud signals and their ops all seemed
to be sucking in callers like a vacuum cleaner, very big hard to break pile ups.

I should have tried 40. After a half hour dinner break, I righted the ship on
75M. I had what I feel is the best frequency on the band, 3804 KHz, and most of
the time there was virtually no QRM! I ran off the first 70 Q's, almost all
without a CQ. After that, the rate dropped with spurts of callers, but I stuck
with it until 0204Z making 226 Q's in 2 hours 15 minutes. The skip zone had
lengthened on 75 leaving NJ, 3's, OH, and VA out. Around 0320Z conditions
improved until there was nearly no skip zone.

Sunday was a story of long skip; the SFI around 80 was just not quite high
enough to allow LP stations much of a chance to compete. I did have a good run
on 40 for about 45 minutes at 1736Z with virtually no skip zone. 15M was never
open well to CA; the best signals were from CO north through AB and SK, nothing
heard from AK or NT. I had a decent run on 20 in the 20Z hour which made me late
for 40 which was full of signals with already long skip at 2110Z.

I was lucky to work 82 sections, even SDG was not logged until 20Z on 15M, ND
called during the 20Z 20M run and AK called on 20 at 2226Z. I did not waste time
 looking for NL, heard one being work on 15, nada here.

It looks like a poor year for LP competitors, need a more active sun. Thanks for
the Q's and calls.

73, Jeff N8II