[3830] SS SSB K0HC School Club HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 25 17:29:53 EST 2021

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: K0HC
Operator(s): K0HC
Station: K0HC

Class: School Club HP
QTH: KS

Log has been uploaded to LOTW.

I had three students lined up to participate, but our COVID protocols at Hesston
College made that not possible at the last minute and it was just me again this
year.

It was nice to have 15m open at the beginning. There was available bandwidth and
I had a nice run to the west coast during the first hour. I really missed those
quiet conditions once I went to 20m, but the 111 rate during the second hour was
my best.

Compared to the CW Sweeps where I had multiple equipment issues, I had no
problems the entire weekend. Band conditions were reasonable, but there weren't
as many stations on compared to last year. Not having taken a nap and really
missing the students, I quit early on Saturday still missing NL MAR ONN NT and
AK.

I got up earlier than usual on Sunday morning and found NL and MAR. VE3RX called
in from ONN. I found VY1CO loud on 20m (he gave us our CW Sweep). I knew there
were several big stations on from AK, so it was just a matter of waiting for the
band to open. Finally, there was AL2F on 20m in AK at 2044Z for the Sweep. My
singletons this year were NL, NT, ONN and VI.

The last few hours of Sunday were really slow compared to last year when they
were amazing. After 10 minutes of CQing with no takers, I ended up quitting
about 45 minutes early to work on a classroom web server I needed on Monday.

This year, six other School stations made it into our log: W4AQL W8SH W3EAX
W0JWC W8EDU K7UAZ. It was fun to chat a bit with each one.

We hope 2022 will allow us to once again field a student team. Thanks to all for
the Qs!

73, Bob, w0bh
trustee, k0hc
Hesston College ARC