[3830] CQWW CW PJ2T M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 29 06:32:49 EST 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): W0CG YO8WW K1EP NG7M KO8SCA N6AA WI9WI VE4GV AC6ZM
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Curacao

  160:   796    21       72
   80:  1772    27       91
   40:  3202    32      110
   20:  3072    36      111
   15:  3252    34      111
   10:  1199    26       77
-------------------------------

Club: CCC

Comments:

Congratulations to the Santana DX team at CR3W for an outstanding effort from
Madeira.  Uli, Dieter, Falk, Ulf, and Thomas have done a great job of keeping
this famous location in operation. I have done tower work here at PJ2T with Ulf
and know him well. Good work in the contest! Zone 33 rules and rocks, and we
well appreciate that when you are on we are probably out of luck in this
hemisphere. Congratulations again.

I owe a huge thank you to our crew this weekend who stepped in after our
original team had to withdraw because of well-founded concerns with COVID
testing procedures and other medical problems. That left only me and long time
CCC member Jim (WI9WI) as the nucleus of a team. Thankfully Max (NG7M), Ed
(K1EP), and Juan (AD6ZM) stepped up and signed on to come help us out. Then Rob
(VE4GV), who missed his planned trip to PJ2T for the SSB contest because of
airline problems, turned his hat around for CW and joined us in November. Also,
very luckily for us, we picked up a Romanian contingent when KO8SCA let us know
he would already be on the island for vacation and joined the team, then brought
along Gabi (YO8WW) all the way from Savinesti. Adrian is on the upcoming Bouvet
DXpedition, and Gabi is well known from his contesting travels around Europe,
Africa, and Asia and his involvement in WRTC and HST. Rounding out our team, we
were thrilled to be able to include living legend and famous contester, DXer,
and ARRL official Dick Norton (N6AA), Mister Forty Zones. Thus we built a team
from a mix of very highly seasoned contesters and a couple who were making their
first foray into high density Caribbean operating. Everyone adapted to the
station, and we had a delightful time on and off the radios making new friends
and sharing a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner in the sunshine and 86
degree warmth here by the sea.

We were disappointed in conditions after having been spoiled on the October SSB
weekend. 10 never really opened properly, and we had to make the most of two
brief afternoon openings to North America, augmenting those openings with a nice
collection of European multipliers cleverly harvested by YO8WW on our local
Sunday morning. The low bands made up somewhat, as 80 was the best I have ever
heard it from Curacao, producing great Europe runs immediately at the 0000Z
beginning, with loud signals and unexpectedly low levels of QRN. The meteorology
was good to us, with no electrical storms and much less of the usual noise that
is so endemic to the tropics. Our gear held up well, with the only glitch of
note being a failed CW paddle. Once again, Murphy gifted us with reliable
commercial power all 48 hours.

Thanks to our team for joining us on short notice, and for giving up the
Thanksgiving holiday with family. We are all grateful to my partner Dorothy for
feeding us like kings, including the full multi-course turkey dinner. Thanks to
our CCC members who support this place and do countless things in the background
to keep PJ2T alive and well. All of us worldwide who travel for this contest
should give each other a mutual, collective pat on the back for overcoming the
COVID barriers, getting to our international stations, and getting on the air so
that everybody who stayed home could have some mults and some fun. It’s not
easy, but we are determined to stay active and ride out this difficult period in
world public health history.

See you in ARRL DX, both modes, and in the 160 CW contest.

           73	from all of the CCC gang,
                - Geoff, W0CG, PJ2DX