[3830] CQWW CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 29 13:56:27 EST 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA

  160:    1     1        1
   80:    9     7        6
   40:   44    12       14
   20:   89    19       39
   15:   97    19       29
   10:   21    11       10

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials
My first radio contest ever was this contest in 1956 when my friend Phil (ex
W8TTN, now N0KE) let me use the Vibroplex and operate at his station. In 1958 I
entered from my own station. (Search W8QZA in the "Results" tab of the
website)

My activity in this contest was "operate when I can" in a weekend with
family and understanding houseguests. I managed to put in time during what I
thought were the best hours for a total of 26.3 hours (compared to 33.0 for last
year).

Conditions were not good the first evening with multipathing on the signals and
low Q rates. I was in a bad mood. But then things picked up and on Saturday
morning there was a decent opening to Europe on 15. After that it was fine.

There were several good Qs for me in this contest. On 40 Meters, using a trap
dipole only 32 feet up, I managed to work CR3W (who always hears me, somehow!),
ED1R, and CR6K.  On 20 Meters I got 3B8M when no one else was calling him, and
then, with 30 minutes to go in the contest snagged VK6T on the LONG PATH.
Finally, I got mega-station JA3YBK on 10 Meters at 23:59. They were the only JA
I heard on 10 Meters.

QSOs like these make this contest for me. The thrill lasts for hours and
sometimes days. ...and you really can't explain it to anyone outside the DX
community.

Many thanks to K3LR who gave me USA and Zone 5 on several bands. Thanks to
W8KA/6 who finally dug me out and gave me my 160 Meter double mult after many
tries! Thanks to KH6LC and NH7T who gave me Qs on 5 bands.

Now it's time to start Christmas shopping and put the rig in mothballs until the
ARRLs in February/March.  See you then!

73, Bill W8QZA - W6QU