[3830] CQWW CW WH7T(WH7W) SOAB Classic HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 29 14:34:17 EST 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: WH7T
Operator(s): WH7W
Station: WH7T

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: Big Island

  160:  234    14       15
   80:  373    19       21
   40:  566    19       41
   20:  578    22       40
   15:  825    24       27
   10:  495    21       28

Even with 7 days here at the farm, there is never enough time to get all the
work completed. I did work around the property on Tuesday and Wednesday, hoping
to get antenna work completed on Thanksgiving Day. It wasn't Murphy, but Mother
Nature that made the call as an inch of rain fell Thursday. Maybe the rain was a
blessing as I had vacuumed the bottom of the water catchment tank on Tuesday,
dropping the water level ~4". The inch of rain Thursday completed topped of
the tank. I really didn't need to worry about the water as my weather station
has already recorded 163" rain here so far this year!

Friday was a beautiful day and with some luck and a little planning, I was able
to get the 80M antenna working just before the Friday 2PM local start of the
contest.

>From the outset, I planned to operate Classic-24 hour overlay as I did in CQWW
SSB. During my Saturday afternoon break, I made up a new long run of coax out to
the 160M inverted-L. The effort paid off nicely as I fell into a surprising JA
run in the early AM hours Sunday. I also received a booming call from
JW7QIA-Zone 40. Lots of fun considering this was my first time spending much
time on 160.

We also were fortunate to get another killer 10M opening to the US Mainland on
Sunday morning. The 10M conditions were very similar to the 2020 CQWW CW
opening.

I do regret not spending more time on 40M. The propagation into Europe on 40M
seemed to start in our late afternoon and continue until 1-2 hours after our
sunrise. This was especially the case for stations near or within the Arctic
Circle. Working into Europe from KH6 is always a treat, but it generally is hard
work. The pileups can get ferocious. The signals are over the pole with frequent
flutter, plenty of zero-beating, and the operators are receive-challenged by all
of the QRM from other Europeans stations calling. It can get very frustrating on
my end. I also ran essentially the entire time, and perhaps spending more time
scanning the bands, at a minimum listening for pileups, would have uncovered
some mults that I otherwise missed running unassisted. As the contest
progresses, it is a fine line of risk-reward of trying to S&P mults verses
continuing to run during the limited the 24 hour time allotment.

It was also nice to get a few calls from the local KH6 crowd as well as my
"neighbor", Aki, JA5QDH. 3B8M also was incredibly loud here, even
though they only called me on 15M.

I note that these 11 stations made it into my log on all 6 bands-- AA7A K1TTT
K2AX K3LR K9CT K9NW N2IC N5RZ ND7K RW0A W6JTI. Many thanks.

And TNX to all stations for the Q's!

73, Happy Holidays, Aloha-

Mark

 Band     QSOs     Pts  ZN   Cty  Pt/Q