[3830] CQWW CW N1MM(@W1TJL) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 29 17:56:20 EST 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2021

Call: N1MM
Operator(s): W1TJL NB1U K1EBY K1DW NO5W
Station: W1TJL

Class: M/S HP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

   80:  460    22       83
   40: 1212    32      116
   20:  674    29      100
   15:  997    31      110
   10:   29    14       22

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Well, I usually don't like to complain about things going wrong, but this
weekend was a bit special. It started on Tuesday when we began to set up for the
weekend. Everything was working fairly well but we were trying something new. We
were going to use a remote station AKA Flex 6400 (THANKS to Dallas K1DW) to
allow some remote operators to login and operate. W1TJL is only set up for a to
2 transmitter arrangement here so the Flex was going to be Station 2.

The normal radios consist of a pair of Yaesu FTdx5000s.  Everything was set up
and testing showed that it worked! On Wednesday Frank, K1EBY and Dallas K1DW got
on the two stations to run two Separate CWTs on two different bands
simultaneously. It works great!  No issues all the antennas played nicely and
the radio's we're not interfering with each other. Even with 1.5KW!

During more testing on Friday AM, we immediately noticed severe interstation
interference between the 2 radios.  (Nothing had been touched since Wednesday.)
We searched for the cause and checked everything but could not find the problem.
 The decision was made to go Multi-single instead of Multi-2.  Into Friday
evening the interference continued.

Sometime on Saturday the noise interference subsided a bit and felt we could
begin to use both station more in earnest.  No idea why but it just did!  BUT,
Murphy was back.  Not sure if everyone had strong winds this weekend but we were
seeing gusts into the 60s (mph) and we had a failure of the 2nd SteppIR (the
director 2 pulled out and fell to the ground!)  Luckily the antenna was
retracted so the tapes were safe and we were down to a single SteppIR, the 40
meter beam and the 160 and 80 meter verticals.

But Murphy wasn’t done!  The wind next took down the 160 meter vertical (or
rather a gust brought down a large branch on it!).  So back to Multi Single
(actually we never left Multi-Single).

But Murphy still wasn’t done!  Next the power went out – thank goodness for
the whole house generator and the UPS’s on each PC.  And then the main toilet
for the shack plugged!  Still don’t know why.  It just cleared itself after a
couple of hours…

OK, so the good parts:
  •	The 40 Mtr beam was unbeatable!  Seldom more than a single call
  •	The 80 Mtr vertical was great!
  •	The SteppIR on Tower 1 was great!
  •	Conditions (in our little groups opinion) were excellent
  •	The food was excellent (thank you Susan and Mark!)
  •	We had fun…  That really says it all!

So since Murphy spent his weekend here, I hope he left the rest of the YCCC
alone.  And I hope everyone else also had a fun contest…