[3830] 222FallSprnt N0URW Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Oct 1 22:34:23 EDT 2021

                    222 MHz Fall Sprint - 2021

Call: N0URW
Operator(s): N0URW
Station: N0URW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EN41

I really enjoy these 4 hour single band tests. Plus the 222 MHz band has been a
favorite of mine for years.
Even though most of the time I make no contacts to anyone in my own State, (
Iowa ) or my grid square.
I don't live in a high ham radio vhf/uhf population area either. So low power
just doesn't cut it.
Big amp and big antennas are needed to make out of state contacts. I figure
anytime I can make 10 contacts or more on 222 is great.
So how did it go this time ? The band condition seemed to be normal, with slight
enhancement to the NE.
I was surprised to see so few on FT8, and only made two contacts there. (which
could of been made on ssb) The rest of my contacts were all ssb.
It was really nice to work rover,  K9JK/R in all 4 grids he went to. Thanks for
all you do for ham Radio.
It was also a nice treat to work K0AWU in EN37 at (400 miles) His ssb signal
came through loud and clear.
Something that doesn't happen very often was the pleasure of working VE3ZV in
EN92 on ssb at (580 miles).
His ssb signal came up out of the noise and made the contact very easy, He got
much louder as I heard others working him.
After a couple hours it was like it always is, looking for someone new to work.
I went to ON4KST website.
Only found two more to work. After making a MSK144 contact in the spring sprint,
I thought I should try again.
I set up a try with K1WHS this time. But it was not in the cards. :(
My setup this time was the Icom 7300 to DEMI high power xverter to 1kw tube amp
to 4 x 22 el. homebrew antennas at 65 ft.
I can only imagine what my score might be if I was in one of the high population
areas out East.
More should be on for the 432 sprint next week,,, I hope the weather is good.
I vote for adding a summer sprint to the mix. Just too much time between spring
and fall.
** Funny thing is, according to those that preach vhf/uhf communications as line
of sight only.
I should not of been able to make any contacts. (none of the contacts I made
during this sprint were line of site)
Maybe they should throw out the HT they use to get on the local repeater. Get a
real all mode radio, a beam and a amp.
 Enjoy the fun the rest of us are having on ssb on a not so line of site vhf/uhf
band.

May we meet again :) 73, Dan in the corn fields of IOWA.