[3830] CaQP W6ML(W6KC) SO(A) CntyExp HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 4 14:23:33 EDT 2021

                    California QSO Party - 2021

Call: W6ML
Operator(s): W6KC
Station: W6ML

Class: SO(A) HP
Class Overlay: CntyExp
QTH: Mammoth Lakes (Mono)

   20:   439   202
--------------------
Total:  1199   396  Mults = 58  Total Score = 254,562

Club: Bishop ARC

Comments:

Fortunately, the smoke from the California fires, wasn't as bad as last year and
I had mostly blue skies to launch my antennas.  This year again I used dipoles
for 40, 20 and 15 plus an inverted V for 80.  They were all squeezed in between
my two favorite pine trees.  I upgraded the coax feedlines from RG8x to RG213 so
I could run full power with my new KPA1500 amp.  And for the first time I had an
antenna analyzer to check the antennas and troubleshoot one high SWR problem.

One highlight was getting called by KL7SB on 40m CW who had a very strong signal
and thinking to myself that the propagation from NT, the last section I needed,
would also be good.  My next CQ was answered by VY1CO who gave me his #34 for my
sweep.  You always sleep better when you get a sweep on Saturday night and it
takes all the pressure off of Sunday operating.

Thanks to pretty good propagation and no power outages and RFI Murphy visits I
was able to put in a full-time effort and achieve my all-time best single op
Mono County expedition results that included almost 1,200 CW QSOs.

Also, thanks to Hank, W6SX (we are about one-half mile apart in Mammoth) for
helping share the bands between our two HP stations during CQP.

And, many thanks to the NCCC for sponsoring another great CQP!

Rig: K3s, KPA1500, wire antennas at 60 Ft high in the pine trees plus 8,000 Ft
above sea level in Mammoth Lakes on the Eastern side of the beautiful High
Sierra

73, Jim W6ML (W6KC)