[3830] CaQP W6AQ(N6AN) SO QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 5 00:30:53 EDT 2021

                    California QSO Party - 2021

Call: W6AQ
Operator(s): N6AN
Station: W4EF

Class: SO QRP
QTH: LANG

  160:
   80:  110     16
   40:  132     10
   20:  290     26
   15:  185     29
   10:
--------------------
Total:  717     81  Mults = 56  Total Score = 129,360

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

A big thanks to Mike, W4EF, for making his Littlerock, CA station available.
I signed W6AQ to honor the memory of Dave Bell who enjoyed operating QRP.
The station: K3 @ 5 watts/N1MM+, hexbeam @ 40', 40 meter dipole @ 60', 80 meter
1/4 wave vertical with 50+ radials.
I took a six hour break at 06Z with 581 Qs and 55 mults. Sunday was a slog with
only 228 more Qs in ten hours. I stumbled across WA1FCN at 1740Z for AL, mult
#56. I never heard any NT and couldn't align with the MR stations I tuned
across.
With a signal around 25 dB weaker than 1500 watts it is really challenging to
work CA stations on the high bands. That leaves a lot of Qs on the table. And
SSB was like window shopping. I could tune past pileup after pileup of CA
stations on 15, watch my s-meter "bend" on K9CT and N4OX (30 to 50
over), then call CQ and get two or three answers followed by silence. It was
great to hear EU coming in, though! N6ED was heard briefly on 28040; no others.
I tip my hat to W6JTI who is often the QRP winner, and to N6MU who holds the QRP
record.
Kudos to N6DE and the rest of the CQP organization. It is always a blast to
operate this one. And thanks for all the QSOs.

73,
David N6AN