[3830] Makrothen RTTY W6DMW(@N6RO) MO/Multi Xcvr HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 10 15:31:49 EDT 2021

                    Makrothen RTTY Contest - 2021

Call: W6DMW
Operator(s): WD6T N6WM K6AW W6DMW
Station: N6RO

Class: MO/Multi Xcvr HP
QTH: California
Remote Operation

Total:  966  Total Score = 4,853,138

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

First: Thanks to N6RO for hosting us all.

Due to recent activity the team was down a few operators.  Luckily at the last
moment we had a team together for a M/M attempt.  We had N6WM on 10/15 and K6AW
on 20 for the first two shifts.  WD6T was on 40/80 the first shift and W6DMW was
on 20/40/80 the 3rd shift. (Thankfully N6WM checked in at dawn and he led 15 to
the end).

Here's how it all played out...
In N6WM's words: "the 15 meter band outperformed for the entire contest.
Was able to work and occasionally run European stations well past normal windows
of operation from the left coast.  we doubled our 15 meter numbers from last
year, and worked exponentially more European stations.  Still not enough to
equalize with stations in the eastern US but it was a good workhorse band for
us.

10 meters was open.  operators did not show.  I made 62 QSOs there and many were
long  haul domestic or Caribbean.. worked some LU but a remarkable absence of
PY, CE and other SA stations.  but 62 QSOs that we did not have last
year."

We all agreed that "overall the contest was fun but Oceania DX seemed to
take all our mainstay Asia Pac OC stations and plop them in another
contest."

N6WM "was happy to help W6DMW get some call recognition and some hard knock
experience in contest management.. and was nice to not have an overwhelming
commitment."

K6AW was our workhorse on 20M and I thank him for that.  Especially with the
conditions he had to work with.

In WD6T's words for 40/80: For the opening of the contest he "did the best
he could with the cards that were dealt.   Lost critical 2nd half hour due to
apparently flakey ethernet cable; after fixed, was solid. Activity seemed way
down this year.  Very weak propagation to Europe on 40, none on 80.   Very few
JAs. No other Asia.  A couple VKs, one ZL.  Worked a few non-contester JAs, who
were nice enough to give me a grid.  No South America, except PJ4. Weak EU
opening on 20m at midnight our time (their dawn), but only managed to work OK2D,
who is one of the loudest stations on, and would have been worked easily in
second session."

I (W6DMW) think we did a great job with what we were working with (short
staffed) and semi-last minute.

Again, thank you to Ken for hosting so well!

(40/80) Flex 6600-M
(20) K3 Alpha
(10/15) Flex 6600-M

Antennas:
10m 5 X 5 X 5 90ft
15m 6 X 6 X 6 140 ft
20m 5 X 5 X 5 140 ft
40m 4 X 4 140 ft
80m wire 4sq with NA6O controller enhancement