[3830] CQWW SSB N1RM SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 31 16:51:17 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: N1RM
Operator(s): N1RM
Station: N1RM

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 19:22

   80:   59    10       34
   40:  114    12       51
   20:  301    33       92
   15:  309    28       94
   10:  267    20       71

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I went in with low expectations, especially considering the gloom and doom
predictions of the CME arrival. As usual, a slow start and relatively early
bedtime on (midnight) Friday with only about 120 Qs in the log. I also slept in
on Saturday, so didn't get back to the shack until about 10:30, but decided to
give it what I could before the bands "shut down".  Well, they never
did!

I worked mainly 10-15-20 all day with some great polar propagation and a couple
of ATNOs. I had one run on 40M that lasted about 5 minutes where I made 4 QSOs
with US stations looking for the mult - zero points!. So this turned into a
total S%P effort. N1MM's remarkable features (especially voice files), along
with the quick tuning of the SteppIR and ACOM 2000 made it like shooting fish in
a barrel. I had several hours with rates at 100+ all S&P.

My initial goal was 500 Qs and 500K pts.  When the bands kept going I saw that
was too easy so it morphed to 600Q/600K, etc.  Then I decided to at least my
score from last year (776K pts) before quitting on Saturday, since certainly
everything would be dead on Sunday.  When I went off the air Saturday I had 812
Qs in the log.

Sunday I was shocked when I turned on the radio around 11am and 10M was
wall-to-wall signals, so my new goal was 1M pts.  This I accomplished, almost
never going below 20M. I think this was the most fun I've had in a phone contest
since the first time I operated K4VV.  It was fun to work Alex (KU1CW) operating
from Hawaii.  Also, Tom, K2GO/HP1XT grabbed me as I finished a QSO with CO8NMN
to say hi. I also heard N4PD in many of the same pileups that I was in.

One of the only annoying things was the confusion sometimes caused by W1RM also
being in many of the pileups with me (do I need a new call?). Fortunately most
of the ops were good enough not to let things get too confused.  Finally I
started working from the top of the band to the bottom and we never collided
again.

73,
Rick - N1RM
K4D, A2000A, SteppIR DB18E, KPA500, OCF dipole