[3830] CQWW SSB NE1RD SOAB Classic HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 31 17:26:42 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: NE1RD
Operator(s): NE1RD
Station: NE1RD

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: NH

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    7     2        6
   40:   37     9       24
   20:  118    13       41
   15:   83    14       41
   10:   58    10       28

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

It has been a while since I’ve put in a serious effort contesting. It was fun
to be back in the seat, but it was obvious that my hearing had degraded in those
intervening years. Thankfully, my new Heil Parametric Receive Audio System
(PRAS) isolated the voices in the muddle and reduced the fatigue. It helped me
stay in the seat.

Though I have a very small station (dipoles and a 1/4-wave vertical for 80), I
have made some small improvements to help with contesting (and DXing). The
SOTABEAMS ContestConsole for ICOM gives easy access to the voice (or CW) keyed
memories. I’ve always tried to use the voice keyer but this little box made it
super easy.

I’ve lost some feeling in my feet and the foot peddle, loose under my desk,
kept disappearing on me. A piece of velcro now has it anchored to the carpet.

My trusty IC-7600, now eleven years old, is showing its age. I didn’t realize
how useless the spectrum scope on that radio was until I added an SDR Play RSP2
and spectrum application to my shack computer. Now I can see band activity at a
glance. The antenna driving this is an inexpensive MLA30 receive loop just
outside the shack and well away from the transmitting antennas. It works
remarkably well.

I’ve also added an MFJ receive loop MFJ-1886TR to give myself diversity
receive capabilities. The loop has a null down the middle and it helps
eliminating some unwanted signals in those directions. Just having a second
antenna to hear has been helpful.

SkookumLogger has been a big update for my Macintosh-based shack. Not quite
N1MM, but very usable. It is a very capable, stable, and easy logging system for
contesting. Recommended.