[3830] CQWW SSB VE3VN SO(A)SB15 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 31 21:21:29 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: VE3VN
Operator(s): VE3VN
Station: VE3VN

Class: SO(A)SB15 HP
QTH: 4
Operating Time (hrs):

   15: 1822    34      137
Total: 1822    34      137  Total Score = 858,933

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This was my big idea of a relaxing weekend. With the flux up and with the latest
antenna work half completed (and not being a great fan of phone single op
contests) it seemed like a good idea to do SO15. I did it assisted just to see
how well I could compete in the pile ups and how high I could run my mult count.

Signals coming through an hour before sunrise was nice but little was workable.
I learned my lesson so on Sunday morning I stepped away from the rig and did
some baking (yum!). By the time I pulled the treats out of the oven the band was
hopping.

The stack works well but for the prop pitch direction indicator. The parts are
sitting in a jar on my workbench. Unfortunately my side mount tribander at a
lower height wasn't rotatable (wires not yet connected) and it developed a fault
when it got wet. It rained most of the weekend. So I spent a lot of time
spinning the big antenna and running across the house to see where it was really
pointing.

I was happy with my mult count (passing my objective) but of course had
difficulty on the polar paths. The sun rose too late for north and south Asia
and it set too early for east Asia. I had to listen to stations with less
antenna several hundred km away work mults that I could not. The number of
Americans in the log is low because skip was too long to work most of the big
population centres.

But I had fun, had regular meals and slept well. My challenge is to finish the
antenna work before the CW weekend (ha!).