[3830] CQWW SSB VA3DF SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 31 22:24:02 EDT 2021

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2021

Call: VA3DF
Operator(s): VA3DF
Station: VA3DF

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: ONS
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    6     3        3
   80:  189    17       53
   40:  201    26       83
   20:  347    29       96
   15:  533    31      120
   10:  382    21       75

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Let me be clear about this. I'm not a big fan of SSB contests as my voice can't
stand up to the demands of all the speaking. This, in turn, leads to interesting
situations where I get half my call sign out and then can't speak the rest, very
frustrating for both myself and the operator on the other end!

However, I never met a contest I didn't like and wanted to participate in CQWW
SSB. So, armed with a substantial supply of eye of newt, magic potions and
considerable optimism I decided to participate in this weekend's contest.

The strategy was to S+P for the first 24 hours and then try running. This led to
lots of mults but a shortfall in qsos. The strategy also meant that failure was
a self-fulfilling prophecy since I was bound to continue running until I lost my
voice, crashed and burned!

Anyways, things went pretty much as expected and I'm sure some DX operators are
still wondering what the ...?

On the technical front, I was very pleased with the performance of my new 80
vertical which allowed me to award a VA3DF qso to many DX stations! 40 was good
but 10 and 15 were outstanding! Don't think I've ever worked 120 DX countries on
any band  from this station before this weekend.

This score and the breakdown will seem very mundane to the big operators but I'm
pleased with the result and anxiously await the CW portion of the contest.
Hopefully, next year I'll be back with more station improvements - that is if
the Headless Horseman doesn't get me!

As usual, it's a jungle out there...

Doug
VA3DF