[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K4LY SO 3Band HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Sep 13 11:27:04 EDT 2021

                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2021

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: SO 3Band HP
QTH: SC

    2:  72     44
  222:  11      8
  432:   8      6
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  91     58  Total Score = 6,380

Happy birthday today to me!  I've been on 2 meters now since 1956, 65 of my 81
years!
These facts are by way of introduction to my apology, my excuse for an apology
for my continued decline in operating ability, my numerous cockpit errors. If I
were flying a plane, it would have crashed!

Anyway, conditions from here in EM85, South Carolina were exceptionally good to
the west this weekend. I may have been in the sweet spot.  I had only planned to
operate a few hours and give out some points.  Saturday around 8 PM I looked at
the APRS map and it was not encouraging.  The Hepburn map predictions had not
been encouraging either, but later I went in the shack to listen.

Around 9 PM I turned on the Flex/Q5 Five Bander radios and fired up the Lunar
Link amp to around 650 watts.  I made a couple of Florida contacts and then
listened on 2M FT8 to the northeast and unbelievably heard K5QE 720 miles to my
west. Wow, I've only worked him on meteor scatter in the past.  I turned the
antenna west and worked several Texans including N5WS near San Antonio at 1024
miles. I went to bed at 10:30 PM and the APRS map was still completely white
between me and Texas!

Around 7 AM the next morning 5-land was still booming in with some plus FT8
signal strengths. I ended up working 3 stations in the Dallas area, two in OK,
and a number of others closer to me. If my deafness weren't a problem, I would
have gone to CW and SSB.  Signals were strong enough.  I did make a few contacts
on those modes.
Later Sunday morning I worked as far northeast as W1VD in FN31, 675 miles.  For
the most part, conditions were average that way and in every direction by Sunday
afternoon. I missed my afternoon nap and went to bed at 9 PM after darn good
conditions Saturday night and Sunday morning. I also made a few contacts running
low power on 222 and 432.
Thanks for all the Qs.  It was fun as always.