[3830] ARRL Sep VHF K1TEO Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Sep 14 12:25:37 EDT 2021

                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2021

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN31/CT

  1.2:   44    21
  2.3:   24    16
  3.4:   13    11
  5.7:    3     3
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  802   259  Total Score = 327,894

The Hepburn propagation forecast didn't look good as it was all black for the
weekend in my area. That held up with below average condx much of the time while
at other times there were normal condx. No real tropo enhancement was noted
other than AA4ZZ was in here all the the Saturday and on and off Sunday. They
are usually workable but it was a lot easier this time around. Also had N4SVC in
EM80 call me on FT8 Saturday night but never got the final report. We worked
later on 2M msk144 for my only scatter contact on the band. 6 on the other hand
was very good for  scatter, helping the grid total a good deal on that band. The
other further than normal QSO was K4LY (EM85) on 2 Sunday morning.

My score was down over 100K this year. I can attribute it to a few factors:

-With Covid last year a lot of ops were at home and got on. There was clearly
less activity this year.

-We had some Es on 6 last year and I didn't note any this year

-There was several hours of tropo on 2 and up last year. As noted didn't happen
this year.

-My 10 Ghz xvtr that I just put up earlier in the week was working well before
the contest. When I went to use it during the contest there was no rx gain. So
no Q's there this year.

- FT8 operations took another leap forward. That is good for Q's on 6 and 2. But
on 222 and up it hurts the totals. I saw numerous stations on FT8 over the
weekend with lots of bands but they seemed to stay there. That hurts the higher
point and gird possibilities on the  upper bands. Almost 80% of my 6M Q's were
on FT8 as were about 45% of my 2M total. I sure tried really hard on both 6 and
2M ssb.

-On the plus side a couple of rovers with good microwave setups were out this
year and that helped the upper band totals. Tnx to all the rovers who were out.
I think the ones I worked were W3ICC, KF2MR, N2XRE, VE3OIL, KA2YRA, KG6CIH,
NF2RS and AB4CR. Tnx for all ur efforts!

Oh and special tnx to Gary WA2OMY who fixed me up with a 2304 band pass filter.
The last few months I have had s9 RF interference from SSW to WNW on the band.
The filter cleared it up completely - literally a night and day situation. Wow!
And tnx to K3TUF and WA2LTM who helped give valuable input on the problem

Tnx to the ARRL for sponsoring the contest and for all the Q's. Cu in the
sprints.

73,
Jeff K1TEO

-Almost 80% of