[3830] GaQP AA4LR Single OpMixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 11 09:47:24 EDT 2022

                    Georgia QSO Party - 2022

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single OpMixed LP
QTH: Fulton

  160:
   80:  125      7
   15:    5      1
   10:    0      0
    6:
--------------------
Total:  504    407  CW Mults = 45  Ph Mults = 47  Total Score = 130,180

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
80/40/20m Trap Dipole at 10m high.

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100 w/ KAT3 running 100 watts

Comments:

My best performance in the GQP ever, beating last year. Got started about 24
minutes into the first day, and operated the rest of the period with a few
breaks. The second day I only operated about three and a half hours.

Bands were in good shape. I went briefly to 10m on Saturday, but no action
there. 15m was also sadly deficient. 40m was the big money band, of course, but
20m was also productive. Qs split pretty evenly between CW and Phone -- I found
Phone to be more productive this year than last. I was able to sustain rates of
100/hr or more for quite a while. Disappointed I couldn't get anything going on
75m phone.

OM2VL and DL3DXX deserve special recognition. OM2VL moved me through three
bands/modes when he found me on 20m phone. OM2VL provided me with 7 Qs, and
DL3DXX 4 Qs, all on bands 80-15m.

Worked 45 of the 50 states, missing ND, NM, HI, AK, NV. Also missed DC. I think
I might have worked more of 0 and 7-land, as well as more western provinces if I
had a second antenna, My dipole is oriented slightly east-west, so it favors
stations to the north and south. Broadside is east of direct north, which has
good coverage of the population centers in 9, 8, 3, 2 and 1-land, as well as
Europe on 20m. A second dipole orthogonal to this one might have been helpful.

I'm very happy with the trap dipole. It may be worth building another.

Operation was 99% running. I did not do much tuning except in the last hour. I
did click on a few spots. Overall rate was over 70 Q/hr, which is seriously
impressive for a 100 watt station using only a low dipole.

This is likely my last GQP operation from Fulton county. I expect to be on next
year from Warren county. (Yes, my wife has been assigned to a new Church)