[3830] GaQP KT4Q Portable LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Apr 11 23:37:58 EDT 2022

                    Georgia QSO Party - 2022

Call: KT4Q
Operator(s): KT4Q
Station: KT4Q

Class: Portable LP
QTH: GA-Portable
Operating Time (hrs): 11:20

   40:         567
   20:          88
--------------------
Total:   0     655  CW Mults = 0  Ph Mults = 46  Total Score = 30,130

Club: Deep Dixie Contest Club

Comments:

Operated Mixed mode with an additional 28 CW contacts but am submitting my score
as Portable SSB only.

Very interesting QSO Party.  I operated as a Portable with ambitions for working
from 5 different Counties.  Started out setting up on the Towns/White County
line. Great spot for the GaQP and for working POTA at the same time.  Figured
doing both at same time would lend to increased action and stronger pileups
which it did.  First problem was the generator I brought with me, which I tested
before I left the house, would not start.  A few sputters but would not stay
running.  I pulled until the pull rope busted.  Retied it with now a shorter
rope.  Pulled and pulled and broke again. I have an electric start that the gel
battery quit working years ago.  Ran a piece of coax from truck battery to
positive terminal and another coax from negative terminal to ground nut in truck
bed.  Now I had electric start, but it cranked and cranked, sputtered and would
die.  After an hour of working on it, I pulled the throttle butterfly full and
cranked and finally it ran but with full choke.  After an hour or so the
generator started to run rough and I took off choke and it ran great.  I guess
bad gas or clogged carb.

Finally started to make calls at 3:30.  Ran until almost 8:00 pm when it started
to get dark and I wanted to break down while I had some light.  Split the 4 1/2
hours almost in half with Towns County and White County identifiers.  Another
let down was what I thought was a true POTA 4-fer (4 parks identifiers at the
same time), I later determined that I was just outside two of them by just a few
hundred feet. I could have had a 3-fer but that would have taken me off the
County line.  Setting up twice and with generator issues that would have been
more challenged with setting up separately in both counties.  Finally the delay
with generator problems cancelled out my plans to go to Habersham and Stephens
to activate those Counties.

Day two was set up at our cabin in Rabun County.  Threw up a G5RV in a tree and
operated most of Sunday.

A majority of my contacts were on 40M.  Worked 20M both days to get Western
Mults, but my activity would more than doubled on 40M so that is where I put
most my attention.  I went to 10m, 15m and 80m several times but there was no
SSB activity so I moved back to where I was getting activity.  I assume the
solar storm may of had something to do with it as I expected 20M to be very
strong but it really wasn't.

I look forward to next year where I WILL be better prepared and will look to
activate Stephens County which I don't think was activated at all this year.
Thanks to all that worked me and followed my from County to County.

Rig:     Yaesu FTdx5000 (150w)
Ants:    Cushcraft R7 vertical up 8' (Saturday)
         G5RV up 40' (Sunday)
S/W:     WriteLog v12.63