[3830] NAQP CW K4HQK Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 7 11:47:27 EDT 2022

                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 6:50

Total:  253   106  Total Score = 26,818

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

>From my station, activity levels were maximum on 40m, with most stations at
night calling CQ. It felt like racing to pick up a box of spilled blueberries
bouncing around the floor. There were almost as many on 20 meters (including
into the late evening hours). I was disappointed by 80m's activity level,
though; many may have avoided the band and its summer thunderstorm QRN (although
we were spared here). I also didn't hear so many on 15 meters, but that may have
been a shortcoming of my high-SWR vertical. I didn't try 10m or 160m.

In past NAQPs I've noticed Canadians seemed in short supply. This time, they
were almost AWOL. Of my 253 QSOs, only 11 (4%) were Canadian--5 provinces. I
heard a few others working S&P. I never heard northern provinces nor, for
that matter, Alaska.

At 2130 EDT I encountered a tremendous chainsaw-like roar on 40m (7058-7062).

Finally, using the NAQP-CW Call History File with the N1MM logging app, I was
surprised at the very high percent of QSOs that filled out in the N1MM log when
I entered a callsign. The reverse was also true; very few stations asked me to
repeat anything I had sent. "Repeat business" is apparently extremely
high in the NAQPs.

73, John K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia

Station: IC-7410, dipoles (80m, 40m) and Cushcraft R6000 vertical.