[3830] CQWW CW ES7A(ES7GM) SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Dec 1 14:43:43 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: ES7A
Operator(s): ES7GM
Station: ES7A

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: KO28SJ
Operating Time (hrs): 45
OpMode: 2BSIQ

  160:  216    14       59
   80:  769    32      104
   40:  729    37      123
   20: 1291    38      124
   15:  623    35      125
   10:  251    33      112

This indeed was one amazing contest! Managed to get most of the station ready on
Thursday, which gave me me enough time to add one extra 6-elements for 10 meters
@23m. For some reason one of the main tower antennas had strange SWR on 10. Also
found out, that due to element vibration, one of the 5+5 15m Yagi reflector had
a missing piece (about 70cm). So ideal SWR was gone, tho it wasn't bad either.

Since CQWW SSB, I spent most weekends trying to get perfect matching for our new
80m 4SQ (with elevated radials). I think this time, we got it right, as SWR is
now 1.1 on every main direction. Now I need an antenna like this for 160.
Hopefully next year.

I spent about a week analyzing different logs from previous years. I also used
all sorts of propagation programs and had greyline map on full screen on one of
the monitors. As an extra there is a nice online webpage, that lets you choose
different places on Earth showing their sunrise and sunset times. I had about 25
places chosen.

Main goal was to chase multipliers as much as possible on the right time. Slower
periods I went for so called 2BSIQ. I also tried to pick smart frequencies at
start of every band. That indeed helped to keep the rate up, as there are lots
of people just enjoying the band scrolling and not spot hopping. Highest rates
were actually not as high as I was hoping for.

I slept about 3 hours before the contest and 1,5h during the contest. First time
ever I was seeing stuff before the end of the contest. About 3 hours before the
end, CW made no sense. So I went outside, used some nice cold snow on my face
and then carried on. Also had some MK2R+ issues, that forced me to swap MK2R+ to
another one. Sadly I did not have enough time to investigate SunSDR issues we
faced during CQWW SSB, I decided to go back to oldschool with 2x Icom 775s. I
think that was a wise choice.

Next years goal is to put up the last 40m high tower and finish the 160
project.

I truly want to thank all the ES7 guys here helping us with the station
building. You guys are great!

73!
Kris, ES7GM