[3830] CQWW CW OX7AM(OZ7AM) SO(A)AB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Dec 1 15:05:11 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: OX7AM
Operator(s): OZ7AM
Station: OX7AM

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Kangerlussuaq
Operating Time (hrs): 40
OpMode: 2BSIQ

  160:   15     6       11
   80:   61     7       29
   40:  864    27       72
   20: 1787    24       84
   15:  588    16       59
   10:  291    11       41

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Contesting in the Arctic… I don’t know why I keep trying. It went well the
very first time, but the second, third, fourth and now fifth go proved
challenging at the very least. This time I decided to try 2BSIQ, thinking that
it might help me. However, the pileups were either completely absent due to
increased absorption – or they grew to tremendous sizes and became completely
unmanageable. It was fun to try, but I have to practice a lot more before I try
it from a location like OX again.

Prior to the contest the bands were amazing. During Friday afternoon the K index
rose to 4 – and stayed there for the duration of the contest – rendering the
low bands absolutely useless. Barely 100 Qs in total  on 80 and 160. 40 was
slightly better, but 20 became my money band. 15 and 10 were fun, and
considering I had an improvised vertical for 15 meters as my main antenna for
that band I really can’t complain.

Sunday morning started out with an hour long blackout. 20 meters was in fair
shape for a couple of hours, but then died out completely and took several hours
to recover. It’s hard to imagine how this works unless you’ve tried it.
Contesting in Greenland is down right masochism – but a challenge is a
challenge and when given the chance I’ll take it.

Thanks to everyone who called and tried. CU in the next one!

73

OX7AM