[3830] CQWW CW IY3A(IZ3EYZ) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Dec 2 20:34:27 EST 2022

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: IY3A
Operator(s): IZ3EYZ
Station: I4FYF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: JN54
Operating Time (hrs): 45.23
OpMode: SO2R

  160:  216     7       46
   80:  608    17       67
   40:  826    30       86
   20: 1001    31       82
   15: 1167    32       98
   10:  268    30       81

Had to start with dual cq 80+160m due to an issue on 40m.
First qso on 40m at 01.05z.
Then continued till the morning on 40m with intermittent SWR.
The 2nd night used an emergency sloping dipole to NNE which is a total dummy
load on long haul compared to the vertical array.
On Sunday afternoon the issue was finally determined to be into the damaged
center PIN of some female N to 7/16 DIN adapters.
Afterwards, I was able to use the real 40m antenna for the last few hours.
I estimate the whole thing costed me at least 4/500 Qs and 20 mults on 40m.

80m was noisy on the vertical this year and I did miss at least a NW BVG.
Apologizes to some NA stns I was unable to pull out.

Disappointed with the 10m Qs number.
I'm missing 2/300 Qs there.
Unfortunately I couldn't get any real runs to NA, no matter what I tried.
On Sat morning I should have run instead of S&Ping AS/OC during the 2+ hrs
solid JA opening with S9+ sigs.
But I was afraid the 2nd day would be worse.

Approaching 04z on DAY 2 after nearly 28 hrs non-stop operation and being awake
since 10 UTC on Friday (42 hrs in total), I had concerns whether I would be able
to continue non-stop for the last 20 hrs.
As I never experimented yet with 62 hrs without sleeping, I decided to go for a
40 mins nap.
Last qso at 03.48z.
The alarm did ring at 04.30z, I did quit it and rescheduled for another 30 mins
sleeping (05z).
Missed the 05z alarm and woke up by myself at 06.20z.
Next qso at 06.24z.
Oh, well...

As expected high bands to NA didn't last long after SS.
It needs higher SSN/SFI to get MUF high enough to sustain nighttime E-W openings
in the northern hemisphere at the end of Nov.
Unsettled geo condx didn't help either.

All in all I think a score between 6 and 7 mln would have been possible this
year without the 40m issue I had.

QTH: hilltop, 450m asl
STN SETUP:
2 x RTXs
10: F12 5BA @10m
15: 5/5L @17/9m
20: F12 5BA @10m
40: 2 x 1/4wl phased verticals (1/2wl spacing, firing NW/SE or NE/SW); 1 x
sloping dipole to NNE (apex @17m)
80: 1/4wl vertical
160: inv. V apex @17m