[3830] ARRL 160 VP5M(K4QPL) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 4 07:48:45 EST 2022

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: VP5M
Operator(s): K4QPL
Station: VP5/K4QPL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VP5

Total:  QSOs = 384  Sections = 57  Countries = 0  Total Score = 43,776

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

First time doing a 160M contest at VP5M. A big thank you to Guy, K2AV, who
designed a layout for an inverted L with a folded counterpoise (FCP) and worked
with me by phone on final installation using a RigExpert Zoom 55. To make a long
story short, it all worked with 1.0 SWR at 1820 kHz, 51 Ohms and RL 30. My
KPA-500 liked it also, with touch-up from the KAT-500 for QSY up the band. I
didn't have time or crew to set up the K9AY loop for receive.
I never planned a "hard-core" 160M effort but considered it just a
bonus on CQWW CW the week before. Started late and quit early after really nice
runs from about 0100-0330Z. Then a few more before sunrise Saturday morning.
High winds and rain squalls all day Saturday continuing into Saturday night with
S7+ QRN wiped out everyone but the really strong stations, most of which I had
worked Friday. I opted not to run for fear of being an "alligator" not
hearing callers. S&P'd a bit but called it a night. QRN gone Sunday morning
when I woke up about 1030Z but daylight brought everything to an end around
1200Z.
Thanks for the Q's and hanging in there. Sorry there were a number of callers I
just couldn't pull out.
73,
Jim