[3830] ARRL 160 VY2WW(K4IQ) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 4 09:47:05 EST 2022

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: VY2WW
Operator(s): K4IQ
Station: VY2WW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PE
Operating Time (hrs): 10:08

Total:  QSOs = 281  Sections = 49  Countries = 16  Total Score = 40,820

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What a difference a (solar) year makes!  Last year I ran the 160 Test here in
the Low Power category, but scored 25% better in that contest!  Sunspots have
arrived, it seems!

With Jeff's departure from the Island, I felt the need to make a stronger effort
this year, but this was thwarted by the propagation in general, and my line
noise in particular.  Five hours a night was about all my ears could take!
Sorry for all the repeats and, undoubtedly, missed calls entirely. There were a
few stations I just couldn't get, and a lot I heard calling but there was no
chance of working under these conditions from this station (Inverted L and
counterpoise on an acre lot).  Still trying to improve listening antennas and I
did put in two fresh bogs on Saturday, but they didn't help much.  Never even
heard California or VE4-VE7.  Only worked a handful of Europeans this test.

I really miss the sunspot minimums of the past five years.  It seems the effects
are really pronounced at this latitude.  Giving thought to actually putting up
some yagis for above 20m, HI!