[3830] ARRL 160 N1LN SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 4 11:16:04 EST 2022

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: N1LN
Operator(s): N1LN
Station: N1LN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: NC

Total:  QSOs = 1292  Sections = 83  Countries = 35  Total Score = 326,860

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

As with most 160 CW contests my goal is to better my score from last year. That
was not to be this year by quite a margin. The final stats were almost 200 Qs
down, 2 mults down, and my overall points per QSO fell from 2.25 to 2.14. All
that resulted in a score that was almost 80K points down. The short story here
is the EU propagation was down and I never heard anything beyond KH6 from the
Pacific.

Even with the goal shortfall, night one was lots of fun. The rates were up there
and activity was excellent. I stayed up until EU sunrise (0800 UTC) but it
turned out to be almost a non-event. Then I was back at it Saturday morning by
1100 UTC looking for the Pacific that never was heard at my QTH. Saturday night
was not close to fun. I shut down at 0514 UTC due to 3 consecutive 25 Q/hour
rates.  Mixed in that were only 2 EU Qs. No EU sunrise for me - time for sleep.

Sunday morning the Pacific was again not there but my on the air time was worth
the effort when KL7 called in for Section #82. Then WTX was finally spotted!
After a quick mouse click to QSY I heard every licensed ham calling in
continuously. So, I went back to running and occasionally checking for the
pileup to decrease. It finally did – to nothing. The WTX station shutdown.
That ended up being great news. It was only about 5 minutes before my CQ was
answered by N5ZC from WTX! That brought my section total to 83 and only left NT
blank which would stay that way.

My next observation was about the very high quantity of dupes. I had more than
60 US stations call as dupes. A couple even called three times! I always work
dupes, but I do not work the same station three times! Why did they all call? No
clue, but sure hope a solution is found. Perhaps the callers could use actual
logging programs to track who they worked or get their code readers fixed?

In the end, the contest was fun. I am pleased with my results. The station
worked well.  Thanks to the organizers, the participants and the many that were
patient when I asked for repeats.

See you in CQWW-160 CW.

73,
Bruce N1LN