[3830] ARRL 160 K4HQK Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 4 12:51:20 EST 2022

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA

Total:  QSOs = 168  Sections = 36  Countries = 1  Total Score = 12,543

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Even though band conditions seemed off, especially Saturday night, I'm reluctant
to say that because I have S7 line noise plus a limited facility (one-half of an
80m dipole) that's surrounded by appliances with electronic control circuity.
Holding power to 100w only lights up our washer/dryer so I went with that.
Higher power, which I absolutely cannot use, fires up the garage door opener and
the security alarm. And probably the neighbors', too. I don't want to see a
crowd approaching with torches.

And so I was limited to the eastern half of North America. I never heard any
W/VE stations west of the Mississippi. What I did manage to work included C6AGU
and KP2M but not VP5M or NP2J. I heard VY2WW briefly on 1864.0 but then he
disappeared. Canada total was only five VE3s and one VA2. Nothing else heard.

In the U.S. I logged all the eastern sections except WCF and SFL, but in the
Gulf states, I never even heard LA, AL, MS, N/W/S TX, or PR.

Both mornings I got on the air again at 0600 EST but was disappointed by the
lack of activity. There was some, but most were the strong-signal diehards who
probably had called CQ all night long. Propagation also seemed to have shrunk
useful distances, even though at that hour it's still dark.

Oh, well. We get another shot at 160 contesting with the CQ 160 events in
Jan-Feb '23. Let's hope for better luck with band conditions.

73,

John K4HQK
Alexandria, VA