[3830] ARRL 160 AA1K SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 4 13:00:39 EST 2022

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: AA1K
Operator(s): AA1K
Station: AA1K

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: DE
Operating Time (hrs): 30:35

Total:  QSOs = 1334  Sections = 80  Countries = 39  Total Score = 349,979

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I had to reach back to 2002 to find a lower score than this for me in a
full-bore ARRL 160 effort. Conditions were poor in general and noise from a
storm passing through the second day made things worse.

We started off hopeful, with the two local power companies solving two major
line noise problems a week earlier and the spectrum is now mostly quiet. The
first hour brought us 159 QSOs (21 more than last year), including 10
five-pointers. But the aggregate for the first four hours was only one QSO more
than that period last year. By Saturday morning we were down 177 QSOs from the
first night last year, and by the end Sunday we had 300 QSOs fewer than last
year. In 2021 we had 235 five-pointers but only 91 this year, with most of those
the first night.

By 07z Sunday the rate had trailed off to less than 10 an hour, and I found
myself dozing at the keyboard with no QSOs from 0725-0802z and 0911-0948z. I
chose not to take an additional sleep break and it paid off when TO9W showed up
for my last country multiplier at 1028z. Then at 1146z N5ZC gave me West Texas
for my last section worked. I never heard or worked WY, AK or NT.

Saturday morning I thought I heard a weak "JH" calling just after
sunrise but could not pull it out. Sunday morning I monitored spots from the
West Coast to know where the KL7 and JA activity was but we never heard any of
those, nor any sign of VK and ZL. PY was the only DX heard and not worked.

The rig was mostly an Elecraft K3 with KPA1500 amplifier. I used the K3 in SO2V
mode to be able to hear in two directions. The Beverages went to the main
receiver (left ear) and the broadside/endfire short vertical arrays went to the
second receiver (right ear).

I have multiple phased Beverages and some single-wire Beverages. DX Engineering
NCC-1 phasing units are used for some of the phased Beverages and an NCC-2 is
used for the short vertical arrays.

For a few hours at the beginning of the second night I used my new Yaesu
FTDX101D but switched back to the K3 since I didn't have the Yaesu configured
for hearing on the short verticals.

My two transmit vertical arrays are under reconstruction so we operated with a
single series-fed vertical (Rohn 25 tower) over an extensive radial field. This
tower is 36 meters high with two yagis for top loading.

More details on the station at www.aa1k.us.

Hour by Points Statistics

Day        Hr   2    5    Tot  Accum
2022-12-02 22   155  4    159  159