[3830] ARRL 160 AA4LR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 4 15:09:38 EST 2022

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Georgia

Total:  QSOs = 382  Sections = 48  Countries = 1  Total Score = 37,583

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
1st night: 135 foot random vertical @ 40 feet high
2nd night: 129 foot inverted "U" @ 70 feet high

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100 w/ KAT3 running 100 watts (SN 8941)

Comments:

A casual outing in the ARRL 160m from Warren County. I was hoping to be able to
remote into the Gwinnett county station for this one, but I haven't been able to
get the RemoteRig devices working yet. So, I left Gwinnett county earlier in the
week with 135 feet of wire to make an inverted L.

Not having a lot of time Friday afternoon, I attempted to lob the wire over two
trees, but ended up with it only up about 40 feet. It then sloped down to the
fence line and then sideways about 30 feet. Fed against the top rail of a
cyclone fence, it was resonant around 1560 kHz. Not the band, but it would work
with the K3's antenna tuner for the night.

First night was slow going. Calling CQ garnered some callers, but not very
productive. Search and pounce was difficult, as many stations couldn't hear me.
Worked only 93 stations the first night. Conditions seemed to be good, but I
didn't work anyone in 5,6, or 7-land, except K9RV in Montana. They just couldn't
hear me.

I suspected the antenna was at fault. I noticed that I didn't need the antenna
attenuator for background noise, which was indicative of lots of loss.

Saturday afternoon, I got out and re-strung my vertical. In two steps, I lobbed
the wire over the tallest part of the tree, then into the next tree. The result
was more of an inverted "U". Now the same wire was resonant at 1740
kHz. This was better, but still not in the band. I cut six feet off the far end
and the resonance moved up to 1800 kHz. Good enough for the contest.

Things were much better the second night. CQing was productive, searching and
pouncing was effective as well. The inverted "U" worked pretty well.
The only DX worked was C6AGU, who called me. I called PJ2T, but they didn't hear
me. Ended up working all of 1-,2-,3-,4-(except PR and SFL),5- (except NM and
WTX),8- and 9-land. Conditions didn't see as good the second night. Never heard
anyone from way out west.

ARRL 160m is always a fun contest. Glad to put this one in the books.