[3830] ARRL 160 W1SJ SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 5 00:30:01 EST 2022

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: W1SJ
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: W1SJ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: VT

Total:  QSOs = 858  Sections = 61  Countries = 19  Total Score = 143,280

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Comments:

Something seemed off. During the week as I was testing the antennas, very few
stations were heard. But, everything checked out. At the start of the event
it was instantly clear that stations were missing. Rates were terrible.
Although I landed a bunch of Eu's, the mults were off as well, especially out
West. It seemed like everyone was in the noise. It was more of a guessing game
than a contest. By the end of the first night, I was more than 200 Q's behind
where I should be. I looked back some 12 years, and couldn't find numbers this
bad. Something was wrong.  I noticed that the noise level was quite high,
punctuated by what seemed like engine noise. New type of radar?

Getting ready to start up again on Saturday afternoon, I turned on a video
dispaly and the noise jumped 3 S-units! Aha - there's the problem. I was using a
different monitor this year which made copy a lot more difficult.
This unit was quickly removed and I expected a lot better runs Saturday night.
Well, that didn't happen. The rates were even worse and there seemed to be a
lead blanket which essentially blocked everything over 1200 miles. Staying
on the air was certainly a test of strength - or stupidity.

Yes, the Top Band builds character!