[3830] ARRL 10 PJ4DX SO SSB Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 11 17:12:37 EST 2022

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: PJ4DX
Operator(s): PJ4DX
Station: PJ4DX

Class: SO SSB Unlimited HP
QTH: Bonaire
Operating Time (hrs):

   CW:    0     0
  SSB: 2338   143
-------------------
Total: 2338   143  Total Score = 668,668

Propagation was not as good as I was expecting. After working around 100 South
Americans via TEP on Friday night I started at 8.00am local time on Saturday
morning only to find the band already well open to Europe. So I got up an hour
earlier on the Sunday morning - and found the band completely dead! Just as it
was beginning to open we had a power cut - no electricity for nearly 1 hour.
When the power did come back European signals were well down on those of
Saturday.

The power cut meant I lost rig control and I did not realise I was logging
stations with the wrong frequency for some hours. Oops.

I was plagued with local noise off and on for the whole weekend, making some of
the weaker stations difficult or impossible to copy when the noise was on. And I
have never heard so many really, really incredibly weak signals. I don't think
all of them could have been QRPp, so it must have been propagation.

I only heard one Indonesian station, and the YBs are ten a penny on 10m FT8.
Also the JAs were way too weak to work. I think we need another year or two
before this contest really becomes fun again. The band closed very early on the
Sunday evening, even before it was fully dark.

Probably over 50% of US stations sent me a serial number as well as (or instead
of) their State and at one stage I began to wonder if the ARRL had changed the
rules to require us to log a serial number as well as a State!

Gripes: It was a bit of a dupe-fest. I logged most of them but when one guy
called me for a fourth QSO, having logged the previous three, I let him know he
was in the log three times already! And there were a few fairly blatant cases of
self-spotting.

Here's hoping for better propagation next year.

73
Steve, PJ4DX
Icom IC-7300, Acom 1500 amp at 1kW to MW0JZE Hexbeam (2-elements) at 45 feet.