[3830] ARRL 10 ZF5T(@ZF9CW) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 11 21:01:30 EST 2022

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: ZF5T
Operator(s): W1VE KC1KUG N5DX W4IPC K5GO
Station: ZF9CW

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Cayman Brac
Operating Time (hrs): ~26
Remote Operation

   CW: 1584   131
  SSB: 1447   115
-------------------
Total: 3031   246  Total Score = 2,270,580

This contest was operated by remote.  It was a few boys and one radio operation.
 After we made two contacts at the first of the contest we thought we were
finished.  A major problem occurred with the electrical service, we lost
everything, and when I went to sleep well after midnight they were still trying
to restore service to a good portion of the island. However it was restored and
after jumping through a few hoops we were back in business Saturday morning.

I think this was the first MS effort with no one on site and everyone operating
via remote. Everything worked well thanks to a lot of work by W1VE.  We learned
a few things which will help us in the future.

The only real problem was that we lost the rotator control due to RF every time
we transmitted. If someone knows the best way to fix that problem, let me know,
so it won’t just be trial and error with a box of ferrite until it’s fixed.
So if we wanted to move the antenna we had to stop transmitting, use a remote
power switch to disconnect power from the Green Heron control box, start it up
again and connect the rotator to the computer interface. Needless to say, this
was not fun to do. We probably would have done better with a quarter wave
vertical next to the water.

KC1KUG (Bray) and N5DX (Kevin) did most of the SSB with W4IPC (Connor)operating
for a while Sunday afternoon.  We were not definitely not lacking in the fast
talk department :-)

W1VE (Gerry), Kevin and I did most of the CW.

We were somewhat disappointed in the conditions.  We either missed it or there
were not opportunities for really high rates with extremely strong signals.

Congratulations to the boys at ZF1A for a great result. Good job!

We used a TS-590S, a Flex/4O3A PG-XL amplifier and a couple of small home brew
tribanders.

I plan to be on site for a few weeks in February.

73 and thank you for calling ZF5T.  We appreciate the contacts and the fun.

Stan, ZF9CW/K5GO