[3830] TBDC W7RH Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 18 17:06:13 EST 2022

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 17

Call: W7RH
Operator(s): W7RH
Station: W7RH

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Arizona
Operating Time (hrs): 8
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 192  Total Score = 848

Early band conditions were pretty good oy west until about 3 hours after
darkness. At that point noise levels came up and conditions deteriorated to the
east coast. QSB became a huge problem. There were several contacts not logged
because I could not verify call or report. Throw in some network latency issues
and you might say I got tired of asking for repeat only to have stations
disappear in the noise. I took a break and came to back to hear some weak EU
making it.

Somehow I managed to work YL3FT and 9A5W. Several others were heard as I moved
up and down between CQ stations were OZ4MM, HG8DX, DR5X and S51V. With two weeks
to go before the new year I thought I was going to get skunked with no EU QSO
since last winter. I had not worked Eastern EU in two years.

Poor weak signal conditions prevailed into the morning with very few calling in
from the east. Aki JA5DQH was the only JA logged and he was far below normal
signal. Only other JA station  heard were JA3YBK and JH4YUB?. Ron VK3IO checked
in rounded out by KL7 and KH6.

Activity level was lower this year. Perhaps overall band conditions had effect.
This was perhaps the strangest conditions that I have seen in quite a while
lending to my old saying "160m is always open somewhere, not necessarily
where you want."

73 W7RH