[3830] TBDC KB9OWD Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 19 09:44:16 EST 2022

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 17

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI

Total:  QSOs = 339  Total Score = 1,252

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I hadn't really planned to operate this at all.  I was in Orlando for work all
week and flew home Saturday morning.  Up at 2 AM CST, flight delays in Atlanta
and went directly from the airport to pick our boys up and coach three
basketball games in an afternoon tournament.  Arrived home about 6:30 local and
planned to unpack and maybe get on for a half hour or so.

Got on about 7:15 local and for some unknown reason, pushed through until 2 AM
local.  I have an inverted L up that has played very well over the last month or
so.  One thing that happened Saturday evening was the development of a new noise
source.  Spent part of the evening trying to track it down without success.
With all the new Christmas lights up in the neighborhood, who knows??  But, at
times it pushed the noise to a level of almost making the band unusable, peaking
at about +30 or so dB.

When the noise was down, I had some good runs.  No Europe heard.  Several very
loud Caribbean on the band that were worked.  Best DX was one KH6 shortly before
bed.

I guess I had enough fun that I set the alarm and was back up at 5:15 local and
pushed through until shortly after the sun came up.  Despite the new noise
source, alot of fun comparing conditions with locals and watching the live
scoreboard.  Kudos to W9XT on a great LP score and effort just down the road.

Merry Christmas!

73,

Ryan KB9OWD