[3830] CQ160 CW KH7A(JA5DQH) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 1 19:53:30 EST 2022

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2022

Call: KH7A
Operator(s): JA5DQH
Station: KH6ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Big Island of Hawaii
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 463  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 18  Total Score = 317,676

I wrote ​the following here a year ago.
"By the time of this contest next year, I hope that COVID-19 will be
completely over and that everyone can go wherever they like and have a
contest."
But unfortunately, a year later, the situation has not changed.
So this year, I decided to participate in the contest again from Japan, with
remote operation.
As Hawaii Radio side switched to an optical internet connection, I was able to
operate the contest smoothly from start to finish without any problems regarding
remote operation.

I would like to thank Max KH6ZM, for always being willing to let me use his
great station, Gerry W1VE, Fred NA2U, Saty 9M6NA/JO4JKL for tips on setting up
the remote, and Jim N6TJ for letting me use his KPA1500 linear amplifier.

The conditions were about the same or a little worse than last year. However,
compared to the bottom of the sunspot a few years ago, the condition is
obviously very bad. It will probably be like this for the next few years.
I was able to make 330 QSOs, 12 countries, 47 states and provinces on the first
day.
This is not a bad Results from Hawaii, an isolated island in the Pacific Ocean.

But on the second day, I had to wait patiently.
Because even after the sun went down, there was a terrible noise of S9 strength
for three hours, probably caused by solar power in Max's neighborhood.
I think I lost at least 60-70 stations and a couple of multipliers due to 3
hours of noise.
Normally, Max's place is a wonderfully quiet environment, and he's supposed to
have better reception than anyone else.

Three hours later, I ran into another major problem when I started the contest.
That's because the weather was very unstable on the Big Island of Hawaii and the
lightning, static noise was terrible. It lasted until dawn and I had a very hard
time hearing the weak signal.
I am both sorry and grateful to those who patiently called me in such a
situation.
The situation was exactly the same for my friend Lloyd KH6LC, who was a little
further away, and they seemed to be having a very hard time receiving.

Highlight
I have been doing 160m DX for 50 years and it is a great pleasure and joy to see
old friends in the CQ 160m contest.
The most thrilling QSO of the contest was called by CT1FPQ at 0629z on the first
day!
As a result, he was the only Zone 14 QSO I made. Also, I didn't even hear any
stations in Zone 15.
Another exciting QSO was with Zone 16 stations RT4G, RT4F and UA7K at 14z.
And that happened was that UP4L and JT1CO, which had not responded to my calls
for a long time, finally responded in the hours near sunrise, adding two more
countries.
It is very, very difficult to QSO with many countries from Hawaii, but thank you
for your valuable country multipliers.
PJ2T, V31XX, NP2X, (NP2J), KL7SB, P40AA, FM5BH, XE2X, (XE2S), LU8DPM, HL5IVL,
ZM4T,(ZL3AB) and UAs.

Lowlight
The new one, CO2JD was 559-569, but unfortunately, no matter how many calls I
made, there was no answer.
Also, BY1RX and RY4SZ could be heard very strongly all night long, but there was
no response when I called them again and again.
This year I couldn't hear any African stations such as CR3W, D4, etc., which I
was able to QSO in this contest last year and the year before.

KH7A @KH6ZM Station
FTDX-5000, KPA1500 amplifier 1.5KW Output
TX ANT; Vertical with bunch of Radials
RX ANT; Beverages

Thank you, Max, for giving me another chance to participate in the CQ 160m
contest from Hawaii this year.
I enjoyed it very much, but my one regret is that I haven't seen you in person
for two years now.

I will write again, with great anticipation.
"By the time of this contest next year, I hope that COVID-19 will be
completely over and that everyone can go wherever they like and have a
contest."

See you again everyone in the contest !

73,  Aki KH7A  aka JA5DQH