[3830] NCCC Sprnt Lad K4BAI LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Feb 3 22:43:29 EST 2022

                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - Feb 4

Call: K4BAI
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: K4BAI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

  160:   5      4
   80:   8      7
   40:   5      3
   20:   0      0
   15:   0      0
Total:  18     14  Total Score = 252

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

This is probably the worst I have ever done in any NS when I got in the whole 30
minutes.  Having some trouble still with relay returning to receive, but don't
think that affected the score much, but was a major annoyance.  Signals
generally weak.  No sigs on 15 or 20M at the start.  40M had some good signals
from CA, ID, and NM, but it wasn't easy to work anyone.  80M was terrible with a
lot of signals and few above the noise.  The cold front is coming through and
there are severe thunderstorm watches or warnings out for the counties just
north of here.  So, we had a very high noise level.  But, people didn't hear me
well at all.

When I came home from work today, I discovered that the yard crew that came
today apparently cut the rope from the top end of the 160M inverted L.  The feed
point has dropped significantly and the rope has been cut about 15 feet from
where it was anchored.  The top end still disappears into the tree, but I don't
know where the horizontal element is now.  Can't find it.  I tried to load on
160M using the antenna tuner in the KPA 1500, but it wouldn't tune whatever
antenna is left there.  But, low and behold, the antenna tuner in the TS590SG
will tune it.  Had thought I might work a few stations in the FPC Marathon this
weekend on 160M barefoot, but never thought I'd need to go there in NS.  But, I
did. Worked the few I cold on 80 and had my best night this season on 160M.
That band was quiet and you guys heard me in NC,VA. OH,and LA.  Thanks for all
the few QSOs I managed to make.  Hope to work you all in NA Sprint CW this
weekend.  Certainly hope conditions will be better than they were for me
tonight.  73, John, K4BAI