[3830] ARRLDX CW W8MK SOUAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 20 20:18:57 EST 2022

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: W8MK
Operator(s): W8MK
Station: W8MK

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: MI

  160:    9     8
Total:  767   262  Total Score = 602,076

Club: Thumb Area Contesters

Comments:

Well, look at that. I beat my PR for Q's but not for mults so my score was lower
that my best in 2016 on the down side of the last solar cycle. The interesting
thing is that my 2016 performance was SOU - LP! This time I ran HP and couldn't
seem to top my mults. Both were part-time operations around 14 hours +/-,
otherwise the station has remained unchanged, except I no longer have my
beverage RX antenna on 160/80. My tribander is very old (TA-33) and I would like
to replace with a trapless beam.

15 was again the best band for me. 10 was slightly better and 160 slightly worse
than 2016. The other difference was my call. I recently switched from K8BKM to
W8MK. I found the new call to be much better received and very few fills,
despite not being in many contest history files or super check partial. I am
convinced that the 1X2 gives me a slight advantage over the prior 1X3.

Had a good run of JA Saturday evening on 15 and runs of EU on both 20 and 15 on
Sunday morning. Otherwise it was mostly S&P and point and click, despite the
many spotting errors I detected.

I've never had a DX station here. I long to work M/M at a US-based station in
this contest or travel abroad to be DX like I did in 2019 from FM5BH as TO8T.
Maybe next year I'll operate from PJ2T, FM5BH, or somewhere in central America.
Getting away from this bitter cold and snow is a welcome relief in mid-February.

Had a ball. Thanks for calling me or responding to my calls.

Tom W8MK