[3830] ARRLDX CW N4QS SOUAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 21 10:00:06 EST 2022

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: N4QS
Operator(s): N4QS
Station: N4QS

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: KY
Operating Time (hrs): 29
Remote Operation

Total: 1385   362  Total Score = 1,504,110

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

This was another fun contest despite some challenges!  I ran my station remotely
from Florida, but with some internet issues.  Radio control was solid, but audio
streaming had constant pops and clicks, causing me frequently to ask for
repeats.  I was running WiFi from the rented condo and there must have been some
contention with other users.

I also had to deal with Murphy!  My big yagi was stuck on North and I did not
have an amp setup for the second tower/beam.  So for the entire contest, I was
forced to working everyone off the side or back!  I never felt very loud and had
trouble running stations on 20/40 like I am used to doing.  It was still fun and
I was surprised at how well I did considering the working conditions.

I was also forced to miss 4 hours at the peak running time on Saturday due to a
prior commitment.  So I definitely left many Qs off the table.  I had a good run
of JAs on Saturday evening on 15m and the band stayed open very late.  20M was
also open to Asia all three evenings.  Conditions on 80/160 only seemed
marginal.  I did run some EUs on 80M the first night at their sunrise, but
missed the second night.

You could tell that sunspots were coming back based on the number of 5 watt
stations that called -- from EU, SA and JA,  It is always fun to pull the QRP
guys out of the pack.  Some are surprisingly loud!

I quit the contest early on Sunday to watch the sunset over the Gulf with my
wife.

73, Dave