[3830] ARRLDX CW N8II SOSB15 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Feb 22 16:34:04 EST 2022

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB15 LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~17

  160:    4     4
   80:   23    20
   40:    0     0
   20:   21     9
Total:  935    91  Total Score = 255,255

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions around the 12th were considerably better than what we experienced
during this contest; that was the last day I worked several EU stations on 10M
and booming NA to the west. The 3 hours prior to the start were also exceptional
on 10 to the Pacific with FK8IK S9 and KH6LC logged at 2328Z. At the start 15
was in the best shape of the contest with a few booming JA's and many Hawaiians
(total 10 Q's on 15, best ever) as well as loud XE and SA stations. My last Q on
15 was a LU4 at 0111Z. I had high hopes of some great conditions into EU
Saturday AM. I found a very quiet spot in "Kilowatt alley" both
mornings and managed to hold it for quite a while. The QSO's were plentiful, but
northern EU and west Asia were mostly weak and it was quite a while before my
first UK station was logged and much longer until Scotland called. My run rate
was over 100 in the 13, 14, and 15Z hours with 142 Q's in 14Z hour. BY 17Z most
of the EU fun was over with just 38 Q's mostly S&P. Activity particularly
from LU and PY was fairly low, about 1/4 of the CQWW. Line noise hampered my
afternoon operating enough that stations off the beam were covered. It did not
take long to pick the Caribbean and SA clean. TO1A and TO4A were worked 1 minute
apart. OH and SM were worked in the 21Z hour via auroral E and I had a
"whopping" run of 5 JA's around  2150Z. Calling JA's was tough,
signals were pretty weak and callers were many. My last evening Q was a JN1 at
2321Z. Sunday AM started off with better condx; signals from Scandinavia and EU
Russia were louder. I was called by R8TT. My only other Asian mults were 4X(one
weak on Sat.), 4L, TA, and C4/P3.
My 13Z hour was 112 and by 15Z only 38. Both running and S&P were pretty
slow; I had worked out EU pretty well by then. At 1848Z the tedium had gotten
the best of me, and I went up to 10M for some relief. The band was wide open to
the south, even ZF and CO8! CR3DX on side scatter and KH6CJJ were also worked,
nothing heard from the big KH6 stations worked on 15. New Q's and mults slowly
were found on 15 until 2350Z when RT0C was finally a decent enough strength to
hear me. I broke the mother of all 15M pile ups on NH2DX after he started
listening down. The USA calling behavior was awful, surprised he didn't quit!

It was nice of ARRL to create LP and QRP single band categories; I might have
the new 15M LP record until next year when it will almost certainly fall. Not
having 10M open well to EU did keep the EU crowd on 15 more. thanks for all of
the Q's and calls. Don't forget to call off zero beat when the station you are
calling has a pile up, that really helps.

73, Jeff