[3830] ARRLDX CW K3MTR(@KE8JVS) M/S LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Feb 23 21:08:17 EST 2022

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: K3MTR
Operator(s): K3MTR KE8JVS
Station: KE8JVS

Class: M/S LP
QTH: OH

   80:   1      1
   40:  20     18
Total:  21     19  Total Score = 1,197

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Fun test!

Went to visit an out-of-state friend this past weekend, KE8JVS, so I wasn't able
to operate with the usual gang in MD. KE8JVS is still getting his feet wet with
radio, so I figured I'd bring a portable HF, throw a wire in the tree, and see
if we could make a couple Qs.

It was a fun learning exercise... this is the first time my FT-450D got any use,
so there was a lot of confused set-up before we could get off the ground. It's
definitely a good radio for on-the-go portable operation, but lesson learned,
procure the right cables BEFORE a contest weekend. Maybe one of these days I'll
make a proper go-box out of this.

I wasn't able to get the computer setup to send (cables... grumble grumble), so
that meant reaching for the paddles the entire contest. Many apologies for what
I know was some "ham fisted" sending. Hopefully my OSs and O5s were
correctly interpreted as OH, HI! Speaking of, I could tell several DX were
confused that I was sending "OH" instead of "MD"---VY SRI
for the confusion! Don't worry, it was just a temporary QTH. Don't reset my
state in your databases!

It's probably obvious from the numbers, but this was definitely a part-time
operation... given the 400 mile hike to get up there, and the limited time to
spend together, ... aaand all the time setting up and troubleshooting the radio,
we only got about 2 hours OP time. Most of our operation was on 40
meters---mostly a function of convenience, but also a function of time. Right
before going QRT, I heard a loud 80 m station, and they could hear us, so I went
with it. I might have done better sticking to just SOSB40, but hey, this was
just a fun exercise, so the more the merrier.

KE8JVS isn't yet a CW op, but I'm hoping to ease him into it. Baby steps! In the
meantime, he was great moral support and helped spin the dial to find stations.
He was very excited to see what a small wire in his tree could accomplish;
there's nothing like that first transatlantic QSO from your own backyard. Worked
several Europeans, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Belize, Madeira Island, Hawaii,
Cayman Islands... I'm sure you all remember what it was like "the first
time".

Many thanks for everyone who picked us out of the noise!

    73 from the (small) crew @ KE8JVS,

        K3MTR KE8JVS