[3830] RTTY Roundup N6DW SO(A) RTTY HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 10 10:45:35 EST 2022

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2022

Call: N6DW
Operator(s): N6DW
Station: N6DW

Class: SO(A) RTTY HP
QTH: VA

   10:     0
-----------------------
Total:   150       0  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 23  Total Score = 10,950

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I really enjoy RTTY contests but this one was very frustrating
from a software standpoint.  My K3 would randomly jump from AFSK
for FSK and stop sending my messages.  I figured out that I could
manually return the rig to AFSK form the CONFIG menu, but that
meant slow or lost QSOs.

I had recently upgraded to Win11
but I had made a concentrated effort to migrate everything and
get it running in pre-contest tests.  I had to move misdirected
files and change errant paths.  That, however, was a false sense
of security.  I had 3 RTTY windows open when the problems
started.

I fumbled around a bit and then decided to
uninstall and reinstall N1MM+ in an attempt to re-establish
missing or bad paths and default locations.  That's when the
virus software blocked installation and I had to hunt down Win
Defender to turn it off.  Still no luck because I had to have
administrator privileges, but it didn't give me an option to run
as administrator.  By trial and error, I went to the download
folder and move the N1MM installation file into a separate folder
and then I was able with a right click to run it as an
administrator. It was about this time that I found out that the
SN1MM installation help had a special section on Win11 issues.

Anyway, I lost about 4
hours Saturday and I knew I would have limited operating time on
Sunday, so I decided to just have a little fun and move on.  So, I
did, as the score reflects.