[3830] RTTY Roundup AA4LR SO(A) RTTY LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jan 12 16:48:08 EST 2022

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2022

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SO(A) RTTY LP
QTH: Georgia

   80:     3
   10:     4
-----------------------
Total:   192       0  State/Prov = 46  Countries = 12  Total Score = 11,136

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
80/40/20m Trap Dipole at 10m high
160/80/40m Trap Inverted-J with 3 elevated radials

Equipment:
Elecraft K2/100 with KAT100 running 100 watts

Comments:

Recovering from the after-effects from Covid, my operating time was limited. I
had a 1 hour meeting at the church Saturday morning that stretched out to three
and a half hours. After that, I was pretty exhausted.

Finally got on the air after 2045z and operated about an hour and a half. By
then I had a splitting headache, so I pulled the plug until Sunday.

Felt a lot better Sunday. It's always tough going from the Fulton county QTH
with the compromise antennas. Found 10m open at 1900z and worked a handful of
stations, 15m and 20m were much more productive. Went to 40m around 2030z and
working was much easier than on 20m. Even managed some running.

In the last half hour of the contest, I had a weird problem with the rig. While
transmitting, it would sometimes fail to switch back to receive. Then I would
have to power off and back on to restore operation. Because of the way the K2
stores frequencies, it often meant I had to hunt for my previous frequency.

Also saw the rig reset while transmitting a couple of times. Not sure if that
was a power supply problem or an issue with RF feedback.

It became a struggle to work anyone, with the K2 failing sporadically. I'll have
to puzzle that problem out before the next contest.