[3830] NAQP CW KB4KBS Single Op Assisted QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 16 07:43:21 EST 2022

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: KB4KBS
Operator(s): KB4KBS
Station: KB4KBS

Class: Single Op Assisted QRP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 4:30

  160:   0      0
   80:  31     24
   40:   2      2
   20:  22     18
   15:  22     12
   10:   2      2
-------------------
Total:  79     58  Total Score = 4,582

Club: South East Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Sporadic Operation during the afternoon and evening; 100% S&P due to being
QRP as an homage to my dear SK friend, Jim Stafford, W4QO.  It was strange how
some stations would try for a minute or two (or three) to get my call, others
heard me on my first try - and it wasn't geographically based. WA and AK were
quick and some W3s gave up trying.  Thank you to those who took the time and
made the effort to pull my call out of the noise.

Lesson learned:

- If you're going to run QRP, do it with a tri-bander and an 80M full-wave loop
at 100' AGL.  A G5RV at 30' AGL doesn't have the same punch.

- Instead of trying to match the speed of the 30-35 WPM (and higher) stations, I
found that if I just stuck around 26 WPM speed, my callsign was easier to decode
(and no, after 40 years with the same 2x3, I'm not going to change it unless I
am "gifted" a great call I can't refuse).

Yaesu FT-450D
5W
MFJ-939 Tuner
MORTTY v.3 Electronic Keyer