[3830] NAQP CW AA4LR Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 16 10:49:52 EST 2022

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Georgia

Total:  586   185  Total Score = 108,410

Club: South East Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Antennas:
A3S/A743 at 15m high (10,15,20,40m)
80/40/20m trap dipole at 11m high (80, 40, 20)
Shunt-fed 15m tower (80, 160m)
Half-size K9AY loops

Equipment:
K3/100 w/ KAT3 running 100 watts

Comments:

Due to a favorable schedule, and that church has gone to virtual service, I was
able to operate this contest from the Gwinnett County QTH. Contesting is so much
more pleasant with half-way decent antennas.

A personal best score! My previous best was 96,000 in January 2002.

Conditions also appeared favorable. Any NAQP where one can work over 180
multipliers is good conditions.

I spent the first two hours on 10 and 15m, hoping to get Qs and multipliers that
would not be available later. After a half-hour break, the next four hours were
spent on 20, 15, and 10. I managed a few runs on 20m with good rate. I made a
short jump to 40m at about 2245z, but I could not get any runs going, so I leapt
back up to 20m. Second break came shortly before 0000z, and I dove right into
40m at 0029z and ran for 45 minutes. Then 80m, then back to 40m, and I hit 160m
At 0250z. By 0440z, 40m had gone really long, and no one could hear me. 160m
gave better rate than 80m tuning the band.

In the balance, I didn't cover 40m that well. Most of my Qs were from running
and not as much tuning. That's why the multipliers on 80m are higher.

I managed to put in a full-time effort. Not sure I computed my off-time
correctly, and I may have gone a couple of minutes over, and that will cost me a
few Qs.

I was amused working AJ1AJ. What do you think his name is?

I do have one complaint - and that is folks not signing after a QSO. Yeah, I
know it is sometimes helpful to rate to just send "TU" and take the
next caller. I sometimes do this myself.  But folks were doing this three, four,
five times in a row. That's not acceptable. Sign at least every other QSO, even
if you have a bunch of callers. Some of us aren't using assistance, and you are
wasting our time.

It's just bad operating.

Great contest, see you in Phone, although likely from Fulton County with the
crummy antennas.