[3830] NAQP CW N8II Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 16 17:57:42 EST 2022

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV

Total: 1010   210  Total Score = 212,100

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Wow, there are many very talented ops in NA, winner averaging over 220 Q's per
hour! This effort is an also ran footnote. I could have operated that last hour,
but figured I was outclassed. Boy was I right!

Condx were not particularly favorable for the East Coast ops until the sun set.
I should have S&P'ed more during those first 3 fairly slow hours. Strategy
was run if I could. 40 was open to the Caribbean and far western states, but CA
was very weak as were some OR/WA stations. 15 and even 20 were quite poor the CA
until I fired back up on 20 at 2327Z with a good run from TX west to the west
coast. It seemed like CA had been hit by "the big one" and fallen in
the Pacific before that. Skip on 15 was very long with CO stations all loud and
running them. VE4-5 were loud on 15, but never worked a VE5 or 6 on any other
band. Skip on 20 was also long, open to FL and Gulf Coast, but only briefly to
IL. There was fairly brief Es to SW/W on 20 after around 24Z. The 15/20M
backscatter was much better than recent years, more Q's on 20 with PA than CA
until after dark.

40 before dark, 80 and 160 were the most fun, some very good runs! When I came
back at 0304Z and CQ'ed on 160 there was an instant pile up that lasted 40
minutes; I ran 146 Q's in 56 minutes. I worked 410 Q's by first break at 2220Z,
then 600 Q's during the evening in 4 hours 42 minutes. Keeping up a high rate is
pretty stressful; others obviously handled 150+ hours very easily.

The activity in January NAQP's is amazing! Hats of to all of those high
scorers!
This QP beats SS by a mile, much more enjoyable. Many thanks for the calls and
Q's.