[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1DY Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 17 16:14:36 EST 2022

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2022

Call: K1DY
Operator(s): K1DY
Station: K1DY

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN54JQ

    6:   4      2
    2:  15     10
  222:  10      8
  432:   8      6
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  37     26  Total Score = 1,430

Hi all, I thought I'd give it a shot to run just SSB and CW this time around.
Just wanted to show what could be done, even from way up here.. Condx seemed
like they would not be good and we had sub zero temps Sat and early Sunday which
the rotor didn't like.. Then of course there was the Patriots game (should've
operated the contest!) Anyway, I was making some "improvements" to the
station so didn't get on until 4PM but one of the first QSO's I made was with
Stan, W3XTT, in FN01. 487 miles on SSB, armchair copy.. So much for condx being
flat! Anyway, long story short, I was on and off over the weekend and had pretty
good success on 2,220 and 432 on SSB in 4 hours operating. ON4KST chat was very
useful.. 6M was a bust but I really didn't try.. So Sunday night I just couldn't
get any more takers for SSB/CW qso's so tried on 432 FT-8 with KE1LI.. Bingo new
grid, followed that with N2NT (402 miles) on 432 and 222 FT-8, and W2SZ on 222
FT-8 to top it off.. So ONLY the last 4 contacts were FT-8 and 4 new grids.. I
think a couple of them I heard well enough that we could have made it on CW, but
still digi modes did come thru!! I don't know if "everyone was on
FT-8", but I had fun. Thanks to all who got on and pointed North!! - bill
k1DY