[3830] ARRL Jan VHF NV4B/R Limited Rover LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jan 20 08:55:55 EST 2022

                    ARRL January VHF Contest - 2022

Call: NV4B/R
Operator(s): NV4B
Station: NV4B/R

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: AL

    6:  29     16
    2:   9      6
  222:   1      1
  432:   7      4
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  46     31  Total Score = 1,674

The weather completely wrecked my plans for this rove.  I had originally planned
to set up in EM64 on Saturday and EM46 on Sunday, but Missouri was predicted at
one point to get several inches of snow.  I then looked at alternative plans,
including going to EM43 or EM74/75 on Saturday, but the game looked completely
unwinnable in terms of avoiding rain during setup times and the possibility of
ice and/or snow Sunday night while trying to return home safely.
I had decided not to go out at all, but I just couldn't stay home during a major
VHF contest, so I decided to do a very quick and basic rove around my local grid
corner.  I put the mobile antennas on the car and went to my EM64 site, where I
was able to make a good number of QSOs on the mobile antennas alone.  I briefly
put up a 432 Yagi to make one difficult QSO, but the rain even made that
difficult.  I left that site around 2130Z.  Around 2145Z, there was an unusually
short 6-meter sporadic-E opening with loud signals from grids as close by as
EM26 and EM35.  I was listening on 2m during tihs time, but did not observe any
2m Es, although the MUF was probably close to supporting it.
I then went to one of my EM55 spots via EM54.  Another 6m opening to the upper
Midwest occurred during the 2300Z hour.  I only made a few QSOs from EM55 and
even fewer from EM65 before returning home.  I pulled the plug Saturday night
and did not operate at all on Sunday.
I encountered one equipment failure.  My 222 MHz radio has a broken data I/O
jack, so I was limited to analog modes on 222 and only made one FM QSO on that
band.
My apologies to those who were expecting me to show up from EM46.  I'm as
disappointed as you are that I wasn't able to go this time.  Hopefully I'll be
able to go somewhere interesting for the CSVHFS Spring Sprints!