[3830] NAQP SSB WX3B Single Op Assisted LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 23 16:09:16 EST 2022

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: MD

  160:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  551   121  Total Score = 66,671

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

My original plan for passionate 10 hour assisted effort changed and I arrived
home just after 2:30pm to begin my search for life on 10 meters.  There was
none.  Off to 15 meters for a little fun that turned out to be a lot of work for
those 22 multipliers.  Decided to get serious and hope 20 was good, and I was
delighted with a good rate for my entire almost 3 hour stay on 20 meters.

Tried to start a run on 40 after that and was met with what could best be
described as the dinnertime LULL so I immediately went to 75m for some fun and
called it quits at 8:16pm.

I would say that the addition of the assisted category was definitely noticed -
when I was spotted, my rate JUMPED.  That added to the fun.

I had two minor station problems one was fixed right before the contest:  a
broken beverage feed point.

The other happened during my 80 meter run, The radio went dead and I saw the
power supply light was out.  There was a poorly constructed gender changer
connected to the power supply plug that pulled loose - a reminder that cheap
things and temporary solutions don't work very well in the long run.

Favorite QSOs?  1)  Sean KX9X - he and I can relate to the surprisingly
delightful mid-life improvements we were both lucky enough to fall into
(our YLs)!

-and-

2)  Jamie Dupree NS3T - you got me, I owe you one.

I called Jamie's loud signal confident to be the first one through the pileup
only to hear "Again"???
Then I heard the recording he made of our QSO and it was obvious he was pulling
my leg.

Rag chewing a bit with old friends is what makes SSB contesting so much fun,
particularly NAQP.

Now I'm in the mood for a good DX CW contest!
(That - and being able to return to multi-op contesting again - hopefully soon)

73,

Jim  WX3B