[3830] CQ160 CW K3PP Single Op Assisted LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sat Jan 29 22:48:03 EST 2022

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2022

Call: K3PP
Operator(s): K3PP
Station: K3PP

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 4:30
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 256  State/Prov = 46  Countries = 7  Total Score = 34,185

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Well ... THAT was different!

This was the first time I operated remote for a contest - really remote and not
just from another part of the house! I'm at my log cabin and I operated my home
station about 40 minutes away. I have no 160m antenna at the cabin and it's not
a great QTH anyway.

I've been tinkering with remote capabilities off and on for a couple of years,
never with enough time to polish it. This time, I tried it in a real contest and
it is still far from polished. But ... it got me 256 QSOs that I would not have
otherwise gotten.

I used Icom's RS-BA1 software and VA2FSQ's Win4Icom software to connect and
control the IC-7610 at home. At the cabin, I just have a laptop running N1MM+
and talking to the virtual radio in Win4Icom. I cannot easily send CW as one
would locally, so I used the 7610's capability to send CW via a CI-V (CAT)
command. It worked! The messages are static, so sending my call, "5NN
PA" and "TU" are all OK, but I can't run like this.

I also can't (yet) control the Acom 200A amp, so I was only LP for this one.

I'd like to put in more time, but this past week has me hammered down - as
usual. Time for some sleep.

So ... all in all, this was a successful experiment! I need to do a lot more to
get it all working as it should. Maybe a few more years of off-and-on tinkering
will do it!

TU to all for the QSOs! VY 73 de Glenn K3PP