[3830] CQ160 CW W5ZN Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 30 10:48:43 EST 2022

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2022

Call: W5ZN
Operator(s): W5ZN
Station: W5ZN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AR

Total:  QSOs = 1171  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 34  Total Score = 277,186

Club: Arkansas DX Association

Comments:

I operated in the SOHP UNassisted category from my home station in Arkansas and
only ran with one radio this time. As dead as things were Saturday night I
should have fired up the second radio to S&P however when I would break from
running (or acting like I was running) and went trolling I didn’t find
anything I had not already worked. So, it wasn’t a real loss.

Interesting propagation this weekend. Friday night conditions were excellent
within NA and I had several nice runs but once sigs hit the ocean they were
swallowed up or they evaporated in the northeast wall!! Only managed 18 EU but
worked a ton of NA stations. I did work KL7SB, KH7A and KH6LC around 0700z but
around 1000z signals to the west must have fallen into the Grand Canyon as only
a few stations west of there were heard and no JA, HL, ZL, VK or RM0.

Saturday night I expected an improvement but I sure was proven wrong. Conditions
to EU were awful, worse than the night before. I only managed two EU !!!! NA
stations were sparse, maybe owing to the big storm on the east coast &
northeast. Things were so dead I grabbed a nap between 0800z to 1000z. When I
fired back up KH7A, KH6LC and KL7SB were boomin’ in there so I felt condx to
the pacific and JA would be great….WRONG again! Was only able to nab a couple
of JA’s and nothing else. RM0F had a nice signal but could not copy me.

Nevertheless, I always enjoy running the station regardless of the contest
outcome and take notes for future improvement.

Equipment used during this contest:

Elecraft K3S & OM2500A @ 1500 watts
TX antenna – 5 element parasitic array
RX antennas:
HiZ-8 160 8 vertical array
BSEF 8 vertical array
YCCC-9
4 Beverages (NE, SE, W, NW)

Thanks to everyone for calling and providing a Q and in some cases a mult. ALL
greatly appreciated.

C U in the next one and GL in the contest.

73 Joel W5ZN